There is no antidote for blue-green algae toxins and dogs who ingest it have a poor prognosis. For dogs who are fortunate enough to survive, recovery may take weeks or months and they are often left with liver damage or other chronic issues.
What happens if you swim in blue-green algae?
Exposure to high levels of blue-green algae and their toxins can cause diarrhea, nausea or vomiting; skin, eye or throat irritation; and allergic reactions or breathing difficulties.
How long do symptoms of blue-green algae last?
Ingestion: Gastrointestinal (GI) effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and mild liver enzyme elevations. The time to onset of GI symptoms after oral exposure is usually 3–5 hours and symptoms can last 1–2 days. Exposure can cause conjunctivitis, rhinitis, earache, sore throat, and swollen lips.
How do I know if my pond has blue-green algae?
If the algae have formed a green ring at the top of the water, there is a strong possibility that your lake does have a blue- green algae community. If your lake or pond has a mat of green material floating on the surface, the stick test can help determine what it is.
Is there a vaccine for blue-green algae?
There is no vaccine for blue-green algae but there are vaccines for Leptospirosis which you shoudl have your dog vaccinated for if you are outdoorsy. Some tips, if you hike with your dog, carry water for yourself and your dog.
What toxins are in blue-green algae?
Blue-green algae can produce both nerve toxins (neurotoxins) and liver toxins (hepatotoxins). Call your doctor or veterinarian right away if you or your pets or livestock have signs of poisoning.
How do you test for blue-green algae?
A simple test you can do is the “stick test.” Find a sturdy stick; long enough to thrust into the surface mat without letting you fall in, and see what comes back out on it. If the stick comes out looking like you thrust it in a can of paint, the mat on your lake is likely to be a blue-green algae scum.