Your veterinarian will first test your dog for the presence of glucose and ketones in the urine. If indicated, the next step is to measure your dog’s blood glucose concentration. The diagnosis only becomes definite when glucose is found both in the urine and at a high level in the blood.
Can you use a human blood glucose meter on a dog?
A: Yes. Research has shown that veterinary glucose meters like the AlphaTrak are much more accurate for measuring cat and dog blood glucose (sugar) levels than blood glucose meters designed for human blood.
What are the early signs of diabetes?
Hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar, causes many of the warning signs of diabetes listed above, including:
- Heavy thirst.
- Blurry vision.
- Peeing a lot.
- More hunger.
- Numb or tingling feet.
- Sugar in your urine.
- Weight loss.
Can you treat a diabetic dog without insulin?
Dogs with diabetes mellitus typically require two daily insulin injections as well as a dietary change. Although a dog can go a day or so without insulin and not have a crisis, this should not be a regular occurrence; treatment should be looked upon as part of the dog’s daily routine.
What is a normal blood sugar reading for a dog?
In the clinically normal dog, glucose concentration is maintained within a narrow range (3.3 mmol/L to 6.2 mmol/L or 60 mg/dL to 111 mg/dL) (2). Hypoglycemia in dogs is defined by a blood glucose level of ≤ 3.3 mmol/L (≤ 60 mg/dL) (1,4,6–8).
What are the symptoms of high blood sugar in dogs?
What are the signs of diabetic ketoacidosis?
- excessive thirst/drinking.
- increased urination.
- increased respiratory rate.
- decreased appetite.
- weight loss (unplanned) with muscle wasting.
What is the best food for diabetic dogs?
The 10 Best Dog Foods for Diabetic Dogs
- Merrick Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. VIEW AT AMAZON. …
- Orijen Dry Dog Food. VIEW AT AMAZON. …
- Acana Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. VIEW AT AMAZON. …
- Hill’s Prescription Diet Dry Dog Food. …
- Nulo Adult Dog Food. …
- Ketona Dry Dog Food. …
- Wellness CORE Natural Wet-Grain Dog Food. …
- Nutrisca Grain-Free Dry Dog Food.
How can I test my diabetes at home without a machine?
Rub your hands together for a few minutes to stimulate blood circulation and make the process less painful. Keep in mind that you don’t have to use the same finger each time. If one finger becomes too sensitive, use a different finger. Or if you use the same finger, prick in a different spot.
How do you feel when blood sugar is high?
The main symptoms of hyperglycemia are increased thirst and a frequent need to urinate. Other symptoms that can occur with high blood sugar are: Headaches. Tiredness.
How can I test myself for diabetes?
Home testing follows these general steps:
- Wash your hands.
- Put a lancet into the lancet device so that it’s ready to go.
- Place a new test strip into the meter.
- Prick your finger with the lancet in the protective lancing device.
- Carefully place the subsequent drop of blood onto the test strip and wait for the results.